Getting to grips with the garden


I've only just realised how important it is for me that the garden is loved and maintained. Tough then, that I just couldn't seem to find someone to help me with it. I'm seeking a tree surgeon for starters, to prune the living trees and cut down the dead ones. There's also much hacking back and soil improvement to do, before I start planting new trees and some pretty flowers!

Some small progress has been made, though - and last week I christened the car with a drive down a stony rambla to a wholesale garden centre.

My companion and I had a lovely time - and came away with around 7 small trees and 30 plants between us, for a joint spend of about 75 euros. Amazing! On Friday, I took another trip to buy massive bags of soil and stones plus a load of flowerpots for the patio, which one of the builders who worked on my house has been improving out of hours at the weekend. So we are getting somewhere! On Sunday a potential gardener came for a look-see (fingers crossed for that), and last night a friend mentioned a permaculture group, which might also be a source of support. Let's see.

Something else I'm going to plant is turmeric. It's an incredible thing. I took it in powdered form when I injured my knee last year as it helps to reduce swelling. Since then, I've discovered it's good for almost everything else: it helps to improve brain health and memory, guards against heart disease, and is said to help prevent and treat cancer. Apparently it's also good for emotional health, guarding against depression, and may even alleviate the ill effects of ageing. Terrific!

When I went to Jamaica this year, I bought fresh turmeric root in a market. I took it along to the Air B&B where I was staying, and the host and I grated it on top of our veggie stew. I slept incredibly well that night, and so did he:- having promised to be up around 7am to make breakfast he finally surfaced around 10.30am! A few days later, he made the connection with the turmeric. So, maybe it's good for sleeping, too. One of the first things I'll be planting in my new raised flowerbed is some fresh turmeric root, ordered online and arriving in October. Can't wait! It's best taken with black pepper, apparently.

Not just one musical track tonight, but a whole radio show (now on YouTube). I loved this programme about DJ David Rodigan's 40 years in broadcasting. It's an interview with music, followed by an anniversary show from the Dub Garden in Kingston, Jamaica. David explains so well why he loves reggae music and Jamaican culture, and with some brilliant music included, it's a must-listen.

Comments

Popular Posts